Friday, July 3, 2009

Running With the G1

There are two apps that standout that runners will appreciate who uses the G1.  MyTracks and CardioTrainer.  No more need for dedicated GPS units that work only for the most sophisticated runners.

One of the things on my Garmin is that I can set a various of trackers as well as keep information about my weight and calories burnt.  So far, I have not found an app that can double as a Garmin Trainer replacement completely.  However, for casual runners, there is no need.

MyTracks uses the GPS on the G1 for creating tracks.  That's its main function and it does it well.  Using the Google Maps, the user is able to create markers for the track.  And there is no limit to how many trackers and markers you can place.

What I also like is the ability to upload or share the tracks.  I'm not too sure about the sharing but that depends on your privacy tolerance.  And there are a whole host of settings.

  • accuracy
  • option to made maps available on Google Maps
  • elevation of the track - not as useful as I like it to be.
  • statistics - max speed, average speed, distance, time - however, this information is only available after the track is completed
CardioTrainer is a different app.  It is all about statistics (more or less).  There is a tutorial at the beginning when you start up the app.  I recommending going through it but you can go back to it at any time.
When you start up CardioTrainer, you can choose between workout, history, settings, and help.  The first thing I did was go through the options in settings.  
  • units you want to display
  • voice output - in minutes or distance ran
  • music to play during run
  • maps display
  • GPS update frequency
  • calories calculator
  • type of workout
Once you start the tracking, you see only the map and GPS strength.  That is pretty much like MyTracks except you cannot add markers for the track.  In fact, it isn't about recording tracks so much as it just allows the user to use the G1 as a digital workout buddy.  Don't get me wrong, I have been swearing by CardioTrainer for a couple of weeks now.  
What I also like CT is the option to set the type of training involved.  Running, biking, walking are the most common I would think.  There are also options for skiiing, driving, horseback riding, kayaking, and skating.  
There is one thing that I do have an issue regarding both apps.  You aren't provided with live data during the run.  That is something Garmin does very well.  In fact, there is an app for the iPhone that I use that provides speed, time, average pace, distance, and calories burnt.  
If MyTracks or CT can provide those pertinent runs, more hardcore trainers will find both of these apps useful.  But like I said at the top, these two apps are mostly for casual runners like myself. Nevertheless, those are information that even I would like to have available to me.  
Also, I would like the ability to lock the screen.  I think most people who run with the G1 carry it in their hands.  At times, I inadvertently pressed a button or touch something on the screen.  It would be nice to be able to concentrating on running and having to worry about having the run being interrupted. 
So, if you want more out of your G1 and you're a workout nut, give both myTrack and CardioTrainer a try.  

What I like to see in the future is some sort of voice command functions be made available to third party apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment